|Samsung start music download service, Creative aim to beat Apple blah, di, blah.|
You know what? Samsung (Like Creative) should stick a finger up at Microsoft, Apple and the Media cartels and Just Say No To DRM.
Imagine for a moment that one of the big manufacturers of personal music/video players opened up and did all the things that the cartels wouldn't like.
- Driverless USB storage with drag and drop
- USB Host so you can swap driect from one player to another
- Format agnostic, Mp3, Ogg, AAC, WMA, WMV, DivX, etc etc etc.
- Open source the firmware and encourage hacking
- Open source plugins for winamp, mplayer, iTunes etc etc Give up on trying to produce yet another music management system
And crucially, promote AllOfMp3 or someone like it.
And then compete with Apple purely on function. Gapless playback, more disk space, better screen, longer battery life, removable batteries, lower prices, etc etc. There's more than enough small annoyances in the iPod to compete against and improve on.
[ << Straight Outta Compton - Done right ] [ Long Tail Camp >> ]
[ 30-Oct-05 6:13pm ] [ Apple , Music , gadgets ]